Swiss company Rohner Textil developed a new material called Climatex which
meets the textile Eco-Label "Eco-Tex 2000".
- Climatex was developed as
substitute for cotton which was causing environmental problems. By
substituting cotton with a new raw material the need for waste water
treatment was solved.
- Climatex is a patented
mix of ramie, pure wool and polyester. This gives it excellent
seating comfort as ramie combines moisture absorption of wool with fast
humidity transport of polyester.
- TENCEL® was designed as an
environmentally friendly cellulosic fibre to produce fabrics that
maximise comfort and function. It is a man-made cellulosic fibre
derived from wood pulp which is harvested from managed forests.
Cellulose is the natural polymer that makes up the living cells of all
- TENCEL® is produced via an
advanced 'closed loop' solvent spinning process, with minimal impact
on the environment and economical use of energy and water. It uses a
non-toxic solvent which is continually recycled.
- TENCEL® has been certified
for use of the Oeko-Tex, Confidence in Textiles, mark (issued by the
International Association for Research and Testing in the Field of
- As a natural fibre TENCEL®
is breathable, absorbent and fully biodegradable.
To find out more visit www.tencel.com
- LoooLo take great care in their choice of
materials, the process by which fabrics are made, and even how their
interior furnishings go to market.
- They also use water-based inks, recycled
paper stock and FSC (forestry stewardship council) approved paper
products for our printed material.
- In the future, they aim to encourage
Canadian farmers towards sustainable production as well as educating
consumers about the impact their choices make.
- In 2003, they partnered with Rohner
Textiles in Switzerland, inventors (in collaboration with William
McDonough and Michael Braungart for DesignTex) of Climatex Lifecycle®;
upholstery fabrics made from organic yarns and dyes free of toxic
chemicals and hazardous bio-products.
- LoooLo is the first company to use
Climatex Lifecycle® yarns to create biodegradable interior
- The dyes in the Climatex Lifecycle yarns
used for are free of all toxic chemicals and are still available in a
full range of colours.
- The dyes used in their yarns are
processed in a ‘closed loop’ facility which means that the
leftover dye baths never leave the facility and that the factory’s
water purification system allows old water to be recycled and re-used
- They only use natural certified organic
materials farmed both within Canada and abroad
- All products can be composted and will
be reabsorbed by the earth within 1 year
To find out more visit www.looolo.ca/
® is a range of fabrics developed by Interface...
- Made from 100% recyclable or renewable material.
- Manufacturered using increasingly sustainable
- Made to meet or exceed industry standards for
quality and performance.
- Recyclable or compostable at the end of it's
For more information on sustainable materials - www.greenchoices.org/clothes.html#products